This page contains some information you will need to start working at the CBG. Please update it if necessary. In addition, you can read the Guidelines for a successful stay at the CBG
Once you arrive at the CBG/DBC, here is the list of things you should do first.
- Building keys and hardware lockers
Ask Suzanne to get your keys to access the building and your office. Once you have setup your desktop, ask for some cables to lock your hardware.
- UNIL account
In this page, open the corresponding pdfs you need, fill them out, get them signed by your supervisor and send them to the Centre Informatique.
You will receive by post your username and password to will allow you to use all the services and resources at UNIL.
- Wiki Access
- Maling list access
Ask Daniel to put you on the CBG mailing list and email email@example.com and ask him to add you to the DBC mailing list.
- Calendar Access
Ask any member of the lab to give you the credentials to access the our shared google calendars, one for the CBG and one for the DGM. These calendars allow you to be updated on upcoming events and meetings, as well as when people are away from the lab.
- CHUV card (canteen card)
Get your inscription form from Suzanne. Bring the form with your picture to the 3rd floor (entrance is at the 2nd floor) of Les Allières building (MP20-Media:CHUV.png).
- Campus card (student card)
Fill in the following form Student Campus Card form and sent it back to the service des immatriculations at UNIL.
Please see also section "PhD student and Doctoral Programme" to know how to enrol at UNIL.
Connect to OKI MC362 (located in Suzanne's office). Look for the latest drivers on the web: http://www.oki.fr/support/printer-drivers/index.aspx
- Access to the servers
Ask Rico to create you an account on the calculation servers we have here.
- Softwares available
Some softwares are under individual licence for which you will need to fill in a form in Suzanne's office.
To see what sort of softwares are available at UNIL
- For PCs: Map the following network drive : \\distripc.unil.ch\soft and connect to it typing ad\username and entering your password (the one from your email account).
- For Macs: Connect to the following server (cmd + k on the Finder window) afp://bigmac.unil.ch using your email username and password.
- Informatique Service
The information technology service of the FBM (SI) helps to all informatics and computer related problems at the FBM. It's a plate-forme between the departments on the Bugnon-Epalinges site.
- Services au personnel
- UNIL Internal Portal
PhD Student and Doctoral Programme
- PhD students have to be registered at UNIL from the beginning until the end of their doctoral studies, meaning until the registration of their thesis at the Bibliothèque Cantonale et Universitaire. All the instructions for the online registration are available here. Please also note that there are two deadlines for enrollment at the University: Autumn semester (before 31 July) and Spring semester (before 31 January)
- As a PhD student starting at the CBG, you will then have to complete the PhD Doctoral Programme in Life Science which is about collecting 12 ECTS credits during your PhD by attending courses, conferences, tutorials... Details can be found here.
- The SIB also provides all along the year training courses and once a year a summer shcool is organized by the SIB PhD training network . PhD students can register to those activities and gather credits for the UNIL Doctoral Programme. Please also check the SIB Bioinformatics course portal.
- More info about research and career can be found here
- As a member of the CBG, you are member of the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics . You will have to fill in the registration form according to the instructions. Please note that new arrival or new departure has to be announced by you at the SIB administration.
- Usually at the end of January of each year, the SIB organizes the SIB days (2 days retreat) bringing together all the members of the SIB across Switzerland. Please make sure you register to this event.
Special foreigners arriving in Switzerland
- Swiss residence permit
You will have to request it from the office of your town of residence. It usually turns out that the request is made by the DGM via Suzanne.
- Medical care insurances
It's mandatory to have a health insurance once you arrive in Switzerland. Have a look at the official federal list of insurances and compare the offers with comparis.ch. Some additional information about the different health systems can be found in this article from la fédération romande des consommateurs.
You can get Nespresso capsules from Suzanne for CHF 5/box.
All kinds of pens, notebooks,Post-it, stamps, envelopes....can be found in Suzanne's office or at the 3rd floor (room 333).
- Clothes locker
You can get your own locker for clothes. If you are interested, ask Suzane.
- Google calendar
We share a google calendar where all kind of infos are written (vacations, conferences, lab meeting...). To get the access, ask any member of the CBG.
- DBC meetings/CBG meetings/Journal clubs
We have a number of regular meetings that include the DGM progress report, CBG group meetings and the Journal Club. Time and places are indicated on the google calendars.
- Opportunity to buy a laptop
The UNIL offers 50% of the price of a new laptop (up to 1000 CHF). Ask Sven if interested and then visit the Service Informatique portal to make your order.